Philly Leaf Recycling
A message from the Philadelphia Streets Department
2021 Philly Leaf Recycling Program
Northwest Philly Collection Dates Dec 6th – 17th
(Additional dates for Drop Off – See below for more detail)
The Streets Department’s 2021 Philly Leaf Recycling Program begins on Monday, November 8 and runs through Saturday, December 18. The program is one of several services provided by the Streets Department to honor the City’s on-going commitment to recycling by helping to reduce the amount of materials that reach the waste stream.
Bagged leaf drop-off: During the six-week program, bagged leaf drop-off will be offered city-wide on the following Saturdays only at 13 locations from 9a-3p.
- November 20
- December 4
- December 11
- December 18
A designated fleet of sanitation compactors will be positioned at the 13 citywide locations to accept the bagged leaves. Crews are assigned to accept ONLY bagged leaves as part of the program. No household trash will be accepted.
|15th & Bigler Sts.||South Philadelphia|
|43rd & Powelton Sts.||West Philadelphia|
|4800 Wayne Ave. (Happy Hollow Rec Center)||Germantown|
|54th & Woodbine Ave.||West Philadelphia|
|7901 Ridgeway St. (Fox Chase Rec Center)||Northeast|
|American & Thompson Sts.||North Philadelphia|
|Broad & Christian Sts.||South Philadelphia|
|Castor & Foulkrod Sts.||Frankford|
|Cathedral St. & Ridge Ave.||Northwest|
|Corinthian & Poplar Sts.||North Philadelphia|
|Graver Lane & Seminole St.||Northwest|
|Pennway St & Cottman Ave. (Jardel Rec Center)||Northeast|
|Washington La & Ardleigh St.||Northwest|
Mechanical leaf collection will be provided as a supplement in areas known to have a heavy accumulation of leaves. The mechanical leaf collection operation will include leaf blowers, mechanical sweepers, and leaf loaders. Mechanical leaf collection crews will concentrate their efforts in designated boundaries each week, following a strategic schedule to maximize efficiency and productivity.
Follow these tips for bagged leaf collection:
- Bagged leaves will only be accepted in biodegradable paper bags. These bags can be processed for recycling along with the leaves. This reduces contamination in the recycling process.
- Do not mix trash or other recyclable materials with bagged leaves. This contaminates leaves and makes them unfit for recycling purposes.
- Use as many bags as needed, maximum 40 lbs. each.
- Bags may be purchased at most hardware stores. Bags are not provided by the Streets Department.
- Bagged leaves may also be taken to any of the Sanitation Convenience Centers, Monday through Saturday from 8a-6p.
- Leaves set out curbside, either in bags or containers, will be collected as trash, not recycling.
Follow these tips for mechanical leaf collection:
- To find out if/when your block is scheduled for mechanical collection visit phila.gov/leaf-recycling.
- Check neighborhood newspaper for articles or ads
- All leaves should be raked and ready for collection by 7:00 AM the day of mechanical collection. Rake leaves into the street by the curb’s edge (piling is not necessary).
- If possible, move your vehicle to an off-street parking location on your scheduled collection day, so crews can remove leaves along the curb line.
- Residents in mechanical areas can also drop off bagged leaves.
- Mechanical collection crews will visit routes only once. Residents are urged to sweep and bag any remaining leaves and set out for collection on trash day or take to any bagged drop-off locations or Sanitation Convenience Center.
There will be no collection of leaves on City holidays. During this six-week program, leaves will be collected for composting purposes, like, fertilizing gardens and nourishing trees. For more information, residents can visit www.phila.gov/leaf-recycling or call 311.
Weekly Mechanical Cleaning Schedule below.
Week # 1: November 8 – 12
(Oak Lane and Frankford)
Monday, November 8
- 3rd Street to 8th Street, from Godfrey Avenue to 65th Avenue
- 8th Street to Broad Street, from Godfrey Avenue to 65th Avenue
Tuesday, November 9
- 3rd Street to 8th Street, from 65th Avenue to Cheltenham Avenue
- 8th Street to Broad Street, from 65th Avenue to Cheltenham Avenue
Wednesday, November 10
- Roosevelt Blvd to Horrocks Street, from Arrott Street to Oxford Avenue
Thursday, November 11
VETERANS DAY – NO COLLECTIONS
Friday, November 12
- Horrocks Street to Penn Street, from Parrott Street to Oxford Avenue
Week # 2: November 15 – 19
Monday, November 15
- 72nd to 66th Streets, from Malvern Avenue to City Avenue
- 66th to 63rd Streets, from Malvern Avenue to City Avenue
Tuesday, November 16
- 63rd to 58th Streets, from Upland Way to City Avenue
- 58th to 54th Streets, from Upland Way to City Avenue
Wednesday, November 17
- Belmont Avenue to Lenape Road, from City Avenue to Sorrento Street & Conshohocken Avenue
- Ford Road to Conshohocken Avenue, from Monument Road to Falls Road
Thursday, November 18
- 54th Street to 49th Street, from Wynnefield Avenue to City Avenue
- Wynnefield Avenue to Columbia Avenue, from 54th Street to Parkside Avenue
Friday, November 19
- 38th to 52nd Streets from Baltimore Avenue to Spruce Street
Friday, November 19
- Moyamensing Avenue, from 20th Street to Oregon Avenue
- 17th to 22nd Street from Oregon Avenue to Ritner Street
Week # 3: November 22 – 26
Monday, November 22
- Worthington Road to County Line Road, from Byberry Road to County Line Road
Tuesday, November 23
- Verree Road to Bustleton Avenue, from Grant Avenue to Morefield Road
Wednesday, November 24
- Morefield Avenue to Welsh Road, from Verree Road to Pine Road
Thursday, November 25
HOLIDAY – THANKSGIVING
Friday, November 26
- Welsh Road to Bloomfield Avenue, from Verree Road to Pine Road
Week # 4: November 29 – December 3
Monday, November 29
- Verree Road to Krewstown Road, from Rising Sun Avenue to Grant Avenue
- Verree Road to Rising Sun Avenue, from Susquehanna Avenue to Rhawn Street
Tuesday, November 30
- Oxford Avenue to Pennway Avenue, from Cottman Avenue to Magee Street
- Oxford Avenue to City Limits, from Cottman Avenue to Rhawn Street
Wednesday, December 1
- Rhawn Street to Welsh Road, from Holmes Avenue to Rowland Avenue
Thursday, December 2
- Bustleton Avenue to Roosevelt Boulevard, from Grant Avenue to Lott Street
- Orchard Lane to Clarendon Road, from Knights Road to Crestmont Road
Friday, December 3
- Frankford Avenue to State Road, from Grant Avenue to Linden Avenue
Week # 5: December 6 – 10
Monday, December 6
- Schoolhouse Lane to Queen Lane, from Henry Avenue to Wissahickon Avenue
- Schoolhouse Lane to Indian Queen Lane, from Ridge Avenue to Henry Avenue
Tuesday, December 7
- Green Lane to Summit Avenue, from Henry Avenue to Ridge Avenue
- Ridge Avenue to River Road, from Wigard Avenue to Port Royal Road
Wednesday, December 8
- Wissahickon Creek to Ridge Avenue, from Summit Avenue to Montgomery County Line
Thursday, December 9
- Bells Mills Road to Willow Grove Avenue, from Germantown Avenue to Wissahickon Creek
Friday, December 10
- Stenton Avenue to Germantown Avenue, from Cresheim Valley Road to Northwestern Avenue
Week # 6: December 13 – 17
Monday, December 13
- Willow Grove Avenue to Mermaid Lane, from Germantown Avenue to Wissahickon Creek
- Lincoln Drive to Green Lane, from Allens Lane to Lincoln Drive
Tuesday, December 14
- Green Street to Park Line, from Lincoln Drive to Allens Lane
Wednesday, December 15
- Stenton Avenue to Germantown Avenue, from Vernon Road to Washington Lane
- Lincoln Drive to Germantown Avenue, from Upsal Street to Allens Lane
Thursday, December 16
- Vernon Road to Cresheim Valley Road, from Stenton Avenue to Germantown Avenue
Friday, December 17
- Thouron Street to Stenton Avenue, from Washington Lane to Ivy Hill Road