“The Leaf Recycling Program is one of several services provided by the Streets Department to honor the City’s on-going commitment to recycling. This recycling program helps to reduce the amount of materials that reach the waste stream and saves landfill space. Mechanical collection and bagged drop-off services are provided.”
People who want to assure their leaves are composted – not trashed – have two choices for participating:
1. BAGGED LEAF DROP OFF: Drop off your leavesbagged in large brown biodegradable paper bags only (not plastic bags) at any of the four Northwest locations noted below anytime from 9 am to 3 pm – on either Saturday, Dec 14 or 21. A designated fleet of sanitation compactors will be positioned at the sites to accept the bagged leaves. Crews assigned to accept ONLY bagged leaves and yard waste as part of the program. No household rubbish will be accepted.
Saturday Drop-Off Locations – 9-3:
– 4800 Wayne Ave. (Happy Hollow Recreation Ctr)
– Cathedral St. & Ridge Ave.
– Gravers Lane & Seminole St.
– Washington Ln. & Ardleigh St.
Bagged leaf drop-off collection tips:
- Residents must place leaves in large brown biodegradable paper bags. Using these bags helps eliminates the extensive process of ripping open, dumping, and disposing of plastic bags.
- Never mix trash or other recyclable materials with bagged leaves. This contaminates leaves and makes them unfit for recycling purposes. (NEVER PUT PLASTIC BAGS IN RECYCLE BINS.)
2. MECHANICAL LEAF COLLECTION: Mechanical leaf collection (= looks like a giant vacuum cleaner) is provided as a supplement to bagged collections in areas identified as having heavy accumulations of leaves and will be offered on a designated weekly schedule in areas with a heavy concentration of leaves. (This is due to occur in our area next week: Dec 16 to Dec 21, according to the attached map. It appears they will cover streets south of Allen Lane. It does not appear to include the streets around Houston School – although I recall they came in past.
- All leaves should be raked (un-bagged) and ready for collection by 7:00 AM the day of mechanical collection. Rake leaves into the street by the curb’s edge (piling is not necessary).
- If possible, move your vehicle to an off-street parking location on your scheduled collection day, so crews can remove leaves along the curb line.
- Residents in mechanical areas can also drop-off bagged leaves.
Click here for more information and a map of areas receiving mechanical collection.